[uf-discuss] Microformats to describe a broadcast

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 10:01:13 PDT 2008

Hi Tom,

> Is anyone aware of any other programme guides which have employed the
> hCalendar microformat to date? I note that this doesn't seem to have
> been acheived in the current BBC listings.

We've got hCalendar on all of Yahoo's UK TV listings:

   • http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/2008-07-11/20-30/http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/2008-07-11/20-30/by-hour/http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/bbc-1/2008-07-11/

We implemented it using a somewhat icky hack (an empty ABBR element
with the ISO date in the title), but it parses in most parsers whislt
not exposing the ISO date as a tooltip to browsers. Most recent
testing suggests that it will still be revealed in screen readers set
to read ABBR titles though, which is unfortunate.

Oh, there's a bug in our output that's putting a translation string
(%z) into the ISO date where the timezone should go. That'll be fixed
shortly!