[uf-discuss] Scheduling Wiki Downtime

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 10:25:05 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

One of my admin tasks at the moment is to run an upgrade of the
Microformats Wiki. Critically, this is to upgrade our install of
MediaWiki to the most recent release, but also taking the opportunity
to add some new microformat-friendly enhancements to the install, and
to the theme.

You can see the list of features/improvements I've been hacking on
here: http://microformats.org/wiki/todo#Wiki_2.0

The work is nearly done, and running the upgrade is possible in
multiple steps, but it's going to require some — hopefully short —
periods of downtime to apply the updates. Critically, MediaWiki has to
change the structure of the database between versions, so the wiki
will need to be taken offline whilst that process runs.

My intention is to run this upgrade on Sunday 20th July (next
weekend), sometime in the afternoon GMT. As such, if you're planning
any work for that afternoon that requires you to refer to microformats
documentation, please take an offline copy.

The wiki should only be offline for a couple of hours.

Thanks,

Ben