[uf-discuss] Human and machine readable data format

jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 03:25:31 PDT 2008

Hello,

The English calendar prior to 1752 was a Julian calendar with the start of
the year on 25th March. Samuel Pepys diary  is an example of publishing
that calendar online (I think):
http://www.pepysdiary.com/

I imagine any historical date prior to the 20th Century is potentially a
problem, as the Julian calendar was still in use as late as the 1920s in
some parts of the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar has handy timelines and
tables showing when the Gregorian calendar was adopted around the world,
and when 1st January was adopted as the beginning of the year in various
countries.

TEI has some guidance on marking up historical dates, which might be
relevant.
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P4/html/CO.html#CONADA
I don't know if there are any other online guides to encoding dates and
times from different calendars.

Jim