[uf-discuss] HTML 5 data- attributes

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 07:20:54 PDT 2008

On 16 Jul 2008, at 11:28, LucaP wrote:

> I believe this new HTML feature found in the HTML 5 draft
> specification should be taken into account in here, since it is
> relevant to many ongoing discussions...

> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#custom

In addition to the existing replies, and the fact that microformats
are currently designed to work in HTML4 and not unstable drafts,
quoting the specification itself:

> User agents must not derive any implementation behavior from these
> attributes or values. Specifications intended for user agents must
> not define these attributes to have any meaningful values.

-data prefix attributes are, by design and intention, for use by
individual applications. They are explicitly excluded as a mechanism
for microformats and the like.