[uf-discuss] Appropriate use of hcard

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 01:11:40 PDT 2008

2008/7/17 Lisa Goodlin <lisagoodlin at gmail.com>:
> Is it appropriate to place the hcard on every page in the footer, or should
> I only do so once? If I should only offer the hcard download once, should I
> still markup the information using microformats?

--- i personally think that you should add it to every instance where
there is data to be marked-up. Visitors to your site might come from
search engine results and therefore not visit your contact page, but
with an hCard on every page they would still get the semantic mark-up
benefit.

> The reason I ask is because at
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples-in-wild-with-problems
> some of the problem pages listed say that hcard is used on every page or
> that they are hidden.

--- that is a list of hCards with problems. The term "every page" only
appears twice, and both times it is in connection with other issues,
such as positioning off screen or not displaying the data with CSS.

It is best to keep the contact information visible. If YOU can see the
data, then errors will be corrected quicker than if the data is hidden
away and no one sees it.

As i read over the wiki page, the term "suboptimal" caught my
attention. These are people who are trying to add semantic mark-up,
and while not 100% valid we label them as "suboptimal". This is not
very inviting to new members. Can someone think of a better term,
possibly something like "incomplete" or "needs improvement" or
"missing properties". We should encourage improvement rather than
berating failure.

Does anyone have an idea of how to improve this term?

-brian
--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk