[uf-discuss] RE: Microformats and RDFa not as far apart as previously thought

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 09:30:24 PDT 2008

On 28 Jun 2008, at 13:03, André Luís wrote:

> October
> Oct.
>
> And other languages, like Portuguese:
>
> Outubro
> Out.
>
> This, however, could be handled with <abbr>, without hindering
> accessibility.

With the current abbr-pattern, your example should be:
<abbr class="month" title="October">Oct.</abbr>

That's a perfectly valid abbreviation, but doesn't address the
internationalisation issue.

<abbr class="month" title="October">Outubro</abbr> is not an
abbreviation, it's translation. We end up with the same problem that
exists in hcard with supporting <span class="tel">< span
class="type">cell</span>… in languages outside US English.