[uf-discuss] Include pattern strawman

Martin McEvoy info at weborganics.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 12:06:07 PST 2008

Hello all

I proposed an alternative to the include pattern called the class create
method, and over the last few days have been trying to get it to work.

anyway to cut a long story short I found it too difficult to build a
parser that would actually do this, too complex (for my skill).

so I simplified it:

first create a normal vcard

	<a class="url org" href="http://weborganics.co.uk">WebOrganics</a>,

with an ID attribute for the field you would like to include in the same
way as the regular include pattern then "included" it like this:

	<a class="url org"

using a <span> instead of an <a> the @title attribute explicitly
references the name of the ID you want to include.

I have tested this theory and it works Very well, so well that I have
managed to build a demo to show you how this works.

source file marked up with two ID's and Three Includes:

XSL Stylesheet used in the demo to perform the transformation:

My only Issue with this method is using the @title attribute to
reference an ID, Is this bad?, to me It seems like a much better
alternative to using empty anchor text links.

Anyway What do you all think?

Martin McEvoy