[uf-discuss] marking up a rel-enclosure length

Sylvain Carle scarle at praizedmedia.com
Mon May 12 14:41:30 PDT 2008

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Martin McEvoy <info at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have been wandering is there any way to mark up the file "length" or
>> size of a  rel="enclosure"[1], If not, Is there a best practice? or has
>> anyone any thoughts on how to do this?
>>
>> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-enclosure
>
> Couldn't you just do an HTTP "HEAD" request on the URL (for the
> rel-enclosure) to get the size of the file (if you really wanted to
> know)?

Maybe, but what if you wanted to "declare" it in your markup?

I know the format is a bit ugly, but MediaRSS [1] has interesting prior
art for that, with filesize, bitrate (etc) attributes that could be used
on an xhtml element (instead of the xml representation done in MediaRSS).

1. http://search.yahoo.com/mrss

--
Sylvain Carle