[uf-discuss] One more shot at accessible hCalendar

Zhang Zhen lunaticsunblog at gmail.com
Wed May 21 00:58:43 PDT 2008

2008/5/14 Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov at sfmta.com>:

> Site visitor accessibility:
>
> Even if a particular screen reader can disable abbreviations or titles
> so as not to hear ISO-format dates read, that means that screen reader
> would also not read human-friendly titles that have nothing to do with
> microformats. Even if your site does not use human-friendly title tags,
> there are sites "in the wild" that do, and having the screen readers
> suppress these would be a loss.

The whole abbr design pattern is not a very good idea because both the
content of abbr element and the value of title attribute should be
human-readable text. The right use of abbr element should be like
this:

<abbr title="human-readable date">2008-5-21T09:22+08:00</abbr>

But someone might argue that "2008-5-21T09:22+08:00" wouldn't be a
human-readable date. As far as I know, HTML4.01 doesn't offer an
attribute for the machine-readable purpose and abbr design pattern
seems relatively the best way to do the job, but it's not perfect.

--
Zhang, Zhen
http://www.lunaticsun.com ( in Chinese only )