[uf-discuss] Request for help from screen reader users from the BBC

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Sat May 24 04:42:46 PDT 2008

Frances Berriman wrote:
> I realise I mentioned this URL in the last thread I was active on, but
> I wanted to bring this to the attention to anyone not following that
> thread.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/05/microformats_and_accessibility.shtml
>
> The BBC is trialling microformats in the new programme support pages
> and are in need of lots of test data and research in order to a) help
> us make a more informed decision about the use of abbr design pattern
> in hCalendar here in the community, and b) for them to decide whether
> to use hCalendar at all (eek!).
>
> Please take a read if you are a screen reader user, or know some one who is.

Hi Frances

You might want to ask on screen reader user mailing lists if anyone
would like to test the BBC's implementation. From what I've seen, users
on such lists are very keen to try out things and give feedback.

UK computer users who are blind or visually impaired:
access-uk at freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/access-uk

Freedom Scientific JAWS users:
jaws-uk at freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/jaws-uk

Dolphin HAL users:
dolphinusers at yahoogroups.com

GW-Micro Window-Eyes users:
gw-info at gwmicro.com
http://www.gwmicro.com/Support/GW-Info_Archives/

Apple VoiceOver users:
macvoiceover at freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover/

GNOME Orca users:
orca-list at gnome.org

NVDA users:
nvda at freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/nvda

Thunder users:
thunder at freelists.org
http://www.freelists.org/list/thunder

(I'm not aware of an active mailing list or forum specific to System
Access users.)

You might also want to reach out to the screen magnification-using
community:

Screen magnifier users:
magnifiers at yahoogroups.com

ZoomText users: