[uf-discuss] Appeal for Issues: Empty spans in value-excerption-pattern

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Nov 7 08:15:37 PST 2008

As Ben wrote:

> DRY is a problem when data is repeated in a document and risks one
> copy of the data not being maintained in sync with another.

The benefit is to minimize this problem.

> will this also parse?

> Obama was elected the
> first African American president of the United States of American,
> and he was
> really pleased about it, on 4th November 2008</span>

Not as a valid dtstart value, no.  The title attribute is only parsed
when the value element is empty, so that would parse with an invalid
dtstart value containing the entire sentence.  See:

http://microformats.org/wiki/value-excerption-pattern-issues#Parsing_title_from_Empty_value_Elements

Peace,
Scott