[uf-discuss] Wiki upgrade/downtime this Sunday (2008-11-16)

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Thu Nov 13 13:47:17 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2008, at 15:42, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> Good luck with the switchover! Any chance of openid for logins in the new
>> version?
>
> Adding OpenID support was something I was really keen to do, and has been a
> long running requested feature. However, the current state of the OpenID
> extension for MediaWiki is overkill for us. The plug-in that's available
> transforms the wiki into a full on OpenID _provider_, and we don't want the
> maintenance/responsibility cost of doing that. We just want login support.

Strange. I've got the OpenID plugin running on the MediaWiki install
on getsemantic. It's unreliable, but it doesn't turn the site into
being an OpenID provider, AFAIK.

When I've next got a minute, I'll dig through the installed version
and extract the relevant files.

OpenID support on the wiki would definitely be practicing the openness
we preach.

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/