[uf-discuss] How about adding aRecipe, an RDFa serialization of hRecipe?

Thomas Loertsch loertsch.thomas at guj.de
Thu Oct 9 06:02:45 PDT 2008

On 09.10.08 13:01, "Tom Morris" <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure that an RDFa serialization is something that needs
> endorsement or hosting by microformats.org. Once hRecipe is
> formalised, RDF/RDFa-based work that uses the hRecipe vocabulary needs
> no input from microformats.org. The syntax for the RDFa is derived
> simply from the RDF/OWL model - there's nothing there that needs
> deciding on.

There are still things that can go wrong - you confirm that below when you
propose to draft a mapping and post that as N3-Draft on the web to solicit
comments. My question is if microformats wouldn't be a good place to do just
that. It's the question if we need another site, another organisation to
develop vocabularies and/or serializations in a community-process or if, at
least if a proposal with a microformats-syntax is already active, can add a
RDFa-serialization project to it?

> And, well, if you have a microformat, it seems pointless
> to publish RDFa - just create a GRDDL profile describing the
> transformation of hRecipe into RDF/XML and use that (HTML 5 @profile
> concerns aside).

If I want to use several vocabularies in one page, how would a GRDDL-profile
of a microformat help with conflicting microformats and the lack of
namespaces on that page in the first place?

> You do raise an important point though: the RDF world needs a
> microformats.org-style development community. That was the intention I
> had behind setting up GetSemantic, and I think the creation of such a
> community is the intention behind VoCamp. At VoCampOxford, we
> discussed the problem of the lack of a microformats-style venue for
> discussion and creation of RDF vocabularies, and this is an active
> problem that I think needs solving. We can't just tack this on to
> microformats - it needs to be separate. Such a group would, of course,
> tell people to use microformats where appropriate.

I don't see why it needs to be seperate. I would understand, although not
necessarily agree, if "the" microformats-people said: "It's not just the
process and it's not just the serialization either - it's both together".
I'd like to discuss that.

> Here's how you (or whoever else is interested) should probably
> proceed: when hRecipe reaches a point of maturity, sit down and
> properly RDFize it - work out the classes and the properties involved,
> and figure out how they map both ways from the RDF to the microformat.
> Draft that up as an OWL ontology, put a draft version up in Notation3
> format on the web and solicit comments. You don't have to specify an
> RDFa mapping, because that's implicit - if you understand RDFa, and
> you understand the vocabulary, the RDFa syntax that you would use
> becomes obvious.
>
> Read http://vocamp.org/wiki/Best_Practices

That's a start of an Ontology 101 - not sure how that would help with my
proposal.

> And if you've got questions, ask on irc.freenode.net #swig
>
> Sorry to regular mf-discuss readers for that extended diversion into
> RDF-land. Back to your regular scheduled programming.

Not so fast, please ;-) You would have to explain why you think a seperate
place for RDFa-serializations is necessary. Because microformats-people
don't want to be bothered with RDF-issues? That might be a reason but nobody
has actually raised it so far.

Greets,
Thomas

Thomas Lörtsch
Business Development

Living at Home Multi Media GmbH
Redaktion Online

Stubbenhuk 5
20459 Hamburg
Postanschrift: 20444 Hamburg

Telefon +49 (0) 40 / 37 03 - 43 14
Telefax +49 (0) 40 / 37 03 - 42 12
E-Mail  loertsch.thomas at guj.de
http://www.livingathome.de
http://www.essen-und-trinken.de
http://www.dogs-magazin.de
http://www.wiewohnstdu.de

  Living at Home Multi Media GmbH | Sitz: Hamburg, Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB
75612 |
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lindner, Nadja Stavenhagen | Ein Unternehmen von
Gruner + Jahr