[uf-discuss] Today, Tomorrow, and Someday Problems

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 17:47:54 PDT 2008

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Interesting blog post by Shane McCarron of XHTML2 fame. He has been
> involved in the standards community since 1985. His name is on just
> about every major HTML standard to come out of the W3C - if you use HTML
> 4.01, XHTML1.0, XHTML 1.1, or will use XHTML2 (to name a few), you're
> using specs that he had a direct hand in creating or maintaining.
>
> It's interesting to see his take on how the W3C and the Microformats
> community fits into the ecosystem of solving the problems of today,
> tomorrow and "someday". The post discusses Microformats and RDFa:
>
> http://halindrome.blogspot.com/2008/09/why-we-do-what-we-do.html

Thanks Manu for an interesting post, I have made some comments ;-)

I am a bit worried  about Shane's other post,

http://halindrome.blogspot.com/2008/09/rdfa-is-proposed-recommendation.html

> Unlike microformats, the idiom for annotating your content does not
> conflict with the normal semantics of (X)HTML (e.g., the class
> attribute, the title attribute, and abbr).

Sound's like a declaration of war from a community who wants to bring
Microformats to the fold.

> Why would you want to use RDFa? For the same reason you want to use
> microformats. Because you care about machines understanding what is on
> your page, not just humans.

Is it not the other way around in the microformats community?

Best Wishes

Martin McEvoy