[uf-discuss] ignoring minimal hCards

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 14:44:20 PDT 2008

Karsten Januszewski wrote:

> Right now, I'm working on both a parser and an application. What if
> my application were to ignore Microformats that may be to spec but
> weren't interesting enough for my application's purpose? Yes, a
> subjective decision, but I'm wondering what the community would
> think of such a decision.

That sounds fine to me. If you've got an application that is designed
to, say, add people's portraits to a photo management tool, then
ignoring hCards which don't have a "photo" property would seem to be
a good move. If your app takes contact details from a web page to
transfer to a phone via bluetooth, it is probably sensible to skip
hCards that don't contain a phone number.

Microformats are about marking up the information on the page - not
compelling parsers to do anything in particular with it.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>