[uf-discuss] RE: Data drift vs. ISO dates WAS Benefits of Microformats

Belov, Charles Charles.Belov at sfmta.com
Thu Sep 11 17:57:11 PDT 2008

If you are sick of the ISO date disagreement, you may want to skip this
message.

So are abbr tags hiding ISO dates. I can see somebody changing the
publicly visible date and forgetting to change the hidden ISO date. This
of course is not an issue for programmatically generated pages, but it
is certainly an issue for manually-edited ones. (This is also assuming
the content entry person can reliably generate ISO dates and times in
the first place.)

Data drift is a very big argument against using hidden ISO dates, and
human-friendliness is a very big argument against showing them. One more
reason not to use ISO dates.

Hope this helps,
Charles "Chas" Belov
SFMTA Webmaster