[uf-discuss] ISO Dates and Durations

Philip Tellis philip.tellis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:54:14 PDT 2008

2008/9/24 Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk>:

> people do not have any problems of putting machine data in the head of a
> document, for example service discovery links and meta details such as
> keywords and descriptions. its worth a little thought a think?

>From a performance point of view, dumping too much user invisible data
into the HEAD section of the document is going to eat up bytes that
are of no use to most users.  Personally, I'd leave the HEAD for data
that the browser needs up front in order to correctly render the page
(eg: CSS, favicon, content-type, link-rel), and push everything else
lower down to when it's actually needed.

However, keep in mind that one size doesn't fit all.  Going too far on
the performance scale can sometimes mean a loss of validity,
accessibility, and semantic value, so it's up to individual site
owners to make the call.  We should provide a couple of options that
touch different points on this scale.