[uf-discuss] gender

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 07:03:39 PDT 2008

Jonas wrote:

> I prefer use it as it is indicated in the vCard 4.0 draft [1]. In
> addition there are another new properties which I am interested as
> LANG, IMPP or KIND.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-vcarddav-vcardrev-01

Latest version of the vCard 4.0 draft is here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-03

There is nothing to stop you using these in hCards, but you should be
aware that most parsers will ignore them - just as they'd ignore
class="foobar" or class="xyzzy" - they'd be assumed to be non-hCard
classes added for presenational or other reasons.

Cognition does support these vCard 4.0 properties as an experimental
extension (and various others - for instance, CALURI is cool), and
although hCard is officially based on vCard 3.0 it seems very likely
that if ever a new version of hCard were to be decided upon, new
classes would be chosen to be compatible with new versions of vCard.

In the mean time you can always combine them with other (existing)
hCard classes to get the best of both worlds. e.g.

	<a class="impp url" href="xmpp:foo at example.com"

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>