[uf-discuss] Bioformats - microformats for biology

Christopher Bare cbare at systemsbiology.org
Fri Jan 23 14:14:11 PST 2009

Hi all,

I don't speak for the researchers behind bioformats, but as someone
interested in using microformats (or what you call POSH formats for
that matter) in the field of bioinformatics.

First, I'd like to see efforts such as bioformats.org encouraged.
Bioinformatics is a field with tons of data on the web and exactly the
kind of semantic barriers that microformats can help overcome.
Development of microformats for niche areas like bioinformatics and
its various subdisciplines requires lots of input from domain experts,
and probably could benefit from experiences with more general
microformats as well. Maybe, bioformats.org is a place to bring that
knowledge together.

BTW, I created my own semantic HTML "microformat" (or POSH if you
prefer) (search for "gaggle microformat", comments welcome) , which I
consider to be merely a proposal, a demonstration of some of the
potential of microformats, and a starting point for further
discussion. I imagine the bioformats.org effort is conceived in a
similar spirit.

So, please do make contact and start a constructive discussion. Thanks,

-Christopher Bare