[uf-discuss] What does the 'h' in microformats mean?

André Luís andr3.pt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 03:59:33 PDT 2009

Martin,

it really doesn't matter that much but from hcard wiki page:

----
hCard is a simple, open, distributed format for representing people,
companies, organizations, and places, using a 1:1 representation of
vCard (RFC2426) properties and values in semantic HTML or XHTML. hCard
is one of several open microformat standards suitable for embedding in
HTML, XHTML, Atom, RSS, and arbitrary XML.
----

The h is used both in html and xhtml and it means the same thing,
obviously. So I'd always thought it meant hypertext... but really,
'tis only a tiny detail. :)

Still, I get asked this frequently in training sessions. That and "wtf
does FN stand for?" Formatted name is not the first that springs to
their mind... :)

Cheers,
--
André Luís