[uf-discuss] Google search and examples (fixes), and Yahoo Search wiki page (was Re: Congrats to Kavi and team on their microformats implementation! Follow-up on examples)

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue May 19 02:42:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Kavi Goel <kavi at google.com> wrote:

> Tantek,
>
> Thank you very much for the congratulations. We are excited to be
> supporting microformats and using them to improve searching at Google.
>
> As per your suggestion, we've added entries to the implementations and
> search engines wiki pages and will continue to add links to the
> various microformats pages wherever appropriate.

Kavi,

Thanks much for updating the wiki, very much appreciated, as that
information will be much more findable than anything in email (even in
archives).

I added some more links and extracted the Google Search information
from the "search-engines" page to its own page (leaving a summary in
place, Wikipedia style)

http://microformats.org/wiki/google-search

Please take a look and edit/add to it as necessary.

> I would also like to reiterate Tantek's suggestion to provide
> feedback. Feedback is much appreciated

I analyzed all microformats examples on Google Webmasters forum pages,
found a few errors and opportunities for improvement (including
microformats versions of the more expanded examples provided currently
only as RDFa), and documented them here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/google-rich-snippets-examples

It would be great if you (and everyone else here familiar with hCard,
hReview etc.) could take a look at the examples,
corrections/improvements and verify and incorporate them.

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Ted Drake <tdrake at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Yahoo added rdf and microformat support to the Yahoo! BOSS
> http://developer.yahoo.com/boss api several months ago. You can even do a
> query and only get sites that have microformats and then use those results
> to build your sites or do additional work
>
> Here's a post I wrote about starting a simple semantic search engine using
> BOSS.
> http://www.bosshacks.com/build-semantic-search-boss.html

Ted, thanks very much for this heads up and reminder.

I added this to the "search-engines" wiki page, and added sufficient
details that it became clear Yahoo Search deserved its own page, which
I've created (similarly leaving a summary in place on the
search-engines page)

http://microformats.org/wiki/yahoo-search

Please take a look and add any more relevant details, documentation,
and links. In particular, the YQL section is just a stub and could
very much use some links to whatever is the best current YQL
documentation and examples.

Thanks again for all your great work Ted, Kavi, and your respective teams.

Tantek