[uf-discuss] A Simple Extension for Microformat Table Support

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:31:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Edward Benson <eob at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> The fact that the <COL /> element of a table doesn't actually contain
> anything makes it impossible (under the current rules) to stash
> meaningful information there from the microformat perspective. This
> means that we can put structured information across each row of a
> table, but not down the columns, leaving us to repeat microformat
> annotations across each row.
> Let us know what you think. It makes tables fit much more naturally,
> from our personal aesthetic point of view. As such, it may make it
> much easier for template writers (think blog themes, Wikipedia Info
> Boxes, etc) to incorporate into their templates and content.

--- There has been some work on this previously. It dealt with the
little known table attributes, @header, @axis and the @id. Using the
@id and @header it was possible to replicate what you are describing.
Have a look at:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-brainstorming#Tabular_event_calendars

If it still doesn't make sense, or needs to be better explained, let
us know and we can iterate on it.

Thanks,
-brian

--