[uf-discuss] Ident Engine

André Luís andr3.pt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:53:48 PDT 2009

Hi Glenn,

comments inline.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Glenn Jones <glenn.jones at madgex.com> wrote:
> Hi André
>
> Thanks for the nice comments about the identity work. Can you email me a quick summary of the errors off the list and I will have look.

You deserve it. And I will ask them for details and fwd them to you.

> Like microformats one of the aims of identity consolidation should be to surface the data so that it is not hidden from the user.  This is especially important when rel=me linking goes wrong, users want to explore the issue themselves. I had this conversation Brad Fitzpatrick the creator of the Google Social Graph API earlier this year. We both agreed we need to build some sort of visualisation tool to explore social graphs.
>
> I think I have achieved this for profiles with Ident Engines. You can see what profile information is store about you and where, but I have yet to look at visualisation of the rel=me linkages. More importantly found a way to allow users to explore issues with their own graph.
>
> The tool I use the most at the moment is:
>
> http://identengine.com/debug/debug-identites.htm
>
> It's only a linear list, but sometimes help me find rogue relationships

Right! At least it allows people to take care of the "weeds" in their
social graph. Funny. One of the comments I heard when someone was
trying it out was: "hey! I've told them [whoever they might be] to
remove that site/link!!" hahaha Apparently he didn't know someone was
still linking an extinct website as his somewhere. :)

As for visualization of the social graph, I've been using
http://workshop.andr3.net/xfnexplorer/ but it's very very slow,
limited to 200 nodes and not "distributable". The parsing is done via
serverside, using Dmitry's Optimus. I see myself rewriting this to
link the Ident engine and JIT toolkit (see footer) to achieve the same
results but much faster. :)

Cheers,
André Luís