[uf-discuss] Commercial application using hResume import

Sarven Capadisli info at csarven.ca
Wed Sep 9 05:43:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 11:54 +0100, Glenn Jones wrote:
> > Sarven wrote:
> > Neat. Quick feedback:
>
> > I tried it on http://csarven.ca/cv and it seems to pick up only a few
> of
> > the org vCards.
>
> The parser is picking up your mark-up. For example I can see that you
> have use hcard/org to mark-up educational institution names.
> http://ufxtract.com/api/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcsarven.ca%2Fcv&format=hresume
> &output=xml
>
> It's just the mapping from raw microformat data to our CV structure has
> not made the best use of your mark-up. I will update our application.
>
> > It'd be great if it picked up the personal and contact details of
> vcard
> > with .uid on the page.
>
> The hResume spec looks for a hCard using which is marked up with the
> class "contact". I could extend the parser to follow the Representative
> hCard rules, but I things its better if you mark-up a hCard for hResume.
> The "contact" hCard is required and technically a hResume is invalid
> without it.

But, the CV does have a 'contact':

hresume
   address + hCard

though, not necessarily a class="contact".

>From what I can tell, the draft spec is not very clear about this. For
instance, the field details doesn't mention class="contact" and neither
does the Contact example.

Representative hCard may be sufficient for hresume contact (updated:
http://microformats.org/wiki/index.php?title=hresume-issues&diff=40740&oldid=37958 ) and it might resolve Open Issue 2006-10-19 raised by Steve Ganz http://microformats.org/wiki/hresume-issues

> > Skills didn't pick up.
>
> You need to add rel="tag" to your skill links. This only half the
> problem because if you review the http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag
> page and read the "Tag Spaces" section you will find skills can be very
> difficult to define in real world use. This is because the skill is not
> the text of the link but the last segment of the URL structure.
>
> Not correct use
> <a class="skill" title="Ubuntu" href="http://www.ubuntu.com/">Ubuntu</a>
>
> Correct use - has rel-tag and a tag namespace in the URL structure
> <a rel="tag" class="skill" title="Ubuntu"
> href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu/">Ubuntu</a>

Thanks for the heads-up. Updated.

> > Education level didn't pick up.
>
> The education level is not part of the hResume structure. I could infer
> an education level by using the NPL function on the education elements
> of the hResume. So far I have resisted mixture explicit structured data
> from Microformats with the more implicit data parsed by the NPL
> functionality. I am worried what user expectation would be.

I was referring to your NLP function.

Presenting additional data outside of structured data is probably a plus
given that structured data has a higher priority. I'm sure there are
different view camps about this but worth to test, at least in this
specific case =)

> Thanks for the feedback very useful.
>
> Glenn

Thanks,