[uf-discuss] microformats implementation - i'd value your opinions

Visit North West david at visitnorthwest.com
Tue Apr 13 08:43:57 PDT 2010

Hi

I'm new to microformats and would sincerely appreciate if somebody could
spare a couple of minutes to give me their valuable opinion on a proposed
implementation of microformats. I wouldn't even call myself a programmer so
please forgive any errors.

I've done a test page and obvious want to make sure everything is ok before
I implement microformats sitewide:

http://www.visitnorthwest.com/manchester/abc.htm

It's a review of a hotel/booking page.

My main points are:

1. Hreview - Because of the way the page is already structured I've had to
wrap hreview around columns 2 and 3. This takes in some superfluous
information (i.e Popular hotels in Manchester) but I can't see a way around
it without changing the structure of the page - which is pretty undesirable
for this site as its about 4000 pages

2. All the address info, review info is contained within the info box in
column 3 <div class="info vcard item">, the 'description' itself is before
this in column 2.

3. Address info - I've not put the country in as it's a UK site and fairly
obvious to readers. Is country info necessary, especially with regard to
search engines?

4. Photos - I've assigned image class 'photo' to each photo. Is anything
else necessary?

Google's rich snippet tool seems to like it, although it doesn't pick up any
image info

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

Please let me know if there is anything different you would do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards

David Mottershead | Visit North West