[uf-discuss] re: HTML5 support

Angelo Gladding angelo at gladding.name
Thu Jul 22 12:15:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Toby Inkster <mail at tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:
> Microdata      :  945
> RDFa 1.0       : 1265
> RDFa 1.1 [**]  : 2611
> microformats   : 9455

It's tough to argue with an order of magnitude difference with
the most complete, public universal implementation to date.

So what is the fundamental difference between the two approaches?

It appears that Microdata takes us through lexical analysis and leaves us
with a parse tree (?) while Microformats take us through the secondary stage
of syntactic/semantic analysis and leaves us with a semantic graph (?).

Does Microdoata check syntax as well? If so, how does it know what syntax
to look for without sniffing the vocabulary specification? e.g. How does the
parser know to store http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#bday as a datetime?

- - -

On a related note, how many of our issues does MF2 [1] stand to resolve?
Reading these notes has green-lighted a couple of features I was tentatively
considering for my universal parser. Future proofing my implementation (and
participating in this conversation!) has helped me to better understand the
two approaches' design goals. MF2 looks to be the logical middle-ground
and may very well render much of this conversation moot.

[1]: http://microformats.org/wiki/events/2010-05-02-microformats-2-0

--
Angelo Gladding
angelo at gladding.name