[uf-discuss] Microformat h-names contradict the process documentation

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:11:11 PST 2010

Hello Andriy

Welcome ....

On 22/03/2010 20:38, Andriy Drozdyuk wrote:
> I see the microformats in the upcoming drafts section all named:
> hAtom, hAudio, hListing, hMedia, hNews, hProduct, hRecipe, hResume, hReview
>
> While in the actual documentation:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/process
>
> one can find this philosophy:
> "DO NOT start with even labeling your effort "hXYZ". This is a very
> common mistake."

Most of the drafts you mention above did not *start* out being named
hAtom, hAudio .. etc. hAtom was simply about a blog posts format, hAudio
was audio info and hMedia was media info... what I am trying to say is
that it was only in the final stages of the process they were given
their "h" prefix names, they didn't start out that way.

> What is the purpose of naming things with "h" prefixes and using all
> kinds of abbreviations? (e.g. "adr" instead of "address").

For most new microformats, those that were created using "the process",
get their naming conventions from hCard and hCalendar the "h" bit has
just been re-used from them.
Personally in the case of hAudio and hMedia I wouldn't mind if they lost
their h-bit at the beginning I believe the would be more modular and
easier to mix with other microformats... but that's just me ;)

The adr property comes from hCard which gets its naming conventions from
the vCard rfc http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt,  but as a rule its
not really common to abbreviate or shorten words you will find that
microformats use short "meaningful" class names mostly.

> It's already on the web (hence html) - shouldn't it be clear that it's (h)tml?

The "h" bit of microformat class names in *most* cases is short for
"HTML version of",
http://microformats.org/wiki/faq#Q._What_is_the_.27h.27_for.2C_in_front_of_Calendar_and_Card.3F

"Think this is this thing, represented in html" -- Frances Berriman
http://www.mail-archive.com/microformats-discuss@microformats.org/msg11051.html

but there are some variations of its meaning, the best interpretation I
have seen is ...

"hAtom, hCard, hCalendar, hReview etc are all named after the character
Horatio "H" Caine from the popular police procedural television series
"CSI: Miami"." -- Toby Inkster
http://www.mail-archive.com/microformats-discuss@microformats.org/msg11054.html

Best wishes.

--