[uf-discuss] Semantic naming of HTML document layout elements

siegfried siegfried at rorkvell.de
Tue Dec 27 02:24:18 PST 2011

Am 23.12.2011 19:58, schrieb Stephen Paul Weber:
> Somebody claiming to be Robin Winslow wrote:
>> that's very helpful. But also many websites have a <div
>> class="container"> that encloses everything, to squeeze the content
>> into the middle of the page
>
> The correct solution is not not have such a hackish element in your markup.
> I never do.  CSS is powerful enough that you don't need it, it just wastes
> space.
Indeed. There already exists such an overall container: body.

There is just one thing to remember: There is a difference between html
and xhtml here. In html, body is the root element, in xhtml, html is the
root element. This may cause diffrences when using body as the central
overall container.

BTW: such a "hackish" element does not only waste space. Every class
attribute classifies its content. So what does it mean, if the content
of the container is classified "container"? The only logically correct
semantic would be, that the content itself is a container of something.
Since any html element is a container of some sort, and
class="container" does not classify the type of the content (i.e. adds
nothing to the semantic of its content), this information is unnecessary.

Instead, as stated:
>> [...] to squeeze the content
>> into the middle of the page
This shows presentational markup. To squeeze the content into the middle
of the page is 100% presentational aspect. So this belongs 100% to css.