[uf-discuss] input microformats for auto-filling forms

Glenn Jones glenn.jones at madgex.com
Thu Feb 17 03:54:44 PST 2011

Hi Charl

When I started to look at this I was hoping that the new HTML input types would be more useful. Although the new inputs describe data types they do not describe the context of data use. The example I used in the wiki page really shows this

<input class="dtstart" type="datetime" />

We may know that the input in the example above is a date by its datetime type, but we only know that it is a start date of an event by the use of the classname attribute dtstart. As such, the semantic value is limited. Do not get me wrong, the new inputs are an important step forward, but they cannot replace the schema properties of microformats.

If you can think of any way we could use these input types without a schema reference i.e. dtstart, that would be great.

Although not an input the only exception to the above I have found so far is the pubdate attribute on the new time element which could possibly be used to replace "published" property for a hEntry . It does seem to be an exception to the rule.

Example of pubdate use from W3 spec - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/text-level-semantics.html#the-time-element
<article>
 <h1>Small tasks</h1>
</article>