[uf-discuss] input microformats for auto-filling forms

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Fri Feb 18 17:08:17 PST 2011

Somebody claiming to be Tantek Çelik wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 13:28, Stephen Paul Weber
><singpolyma at singpolyma.net> wrote:
>>>However, the challenge is that the name attribute can only accept a
>>>*single* value (similar to "id").
>>
>> That's a good point.  Are there common cases where a form input is usefully
>> multiple attributes?  (A real question, I honestly don't know if that's
>> common).
>
>Yes, specifically the web developers is *already using a name* in
>their web form implementation, and then if we ask them to add
>*another* name for microformats purposes.

Ah, if that's still something that needs to be considered in the
autocomplete case then that makes sense.

>>  (whereas name would make good
>>        autocomplete work).
>
>Citation needed. If you want to research existing input/name "formats"
>that implementations might be using, please document them on the wiki
>so we can understand what might "work".

I'm just saying existing autocomplete (that browsers actually have) keys off
of the name attribute.  That's why (for example) my OpenID autocompletes on
many OpenID-enabled sites, because the spec had a reccomended name attribute
for the form field.

Obviously, if this functionality is not considered useful then it doesn't
need to be a consideration :)

>If you know of specific real-world issues with parsing input elements
>for microformats, especially in the context of hCard, please note them
>here under the brainstorm for input parsing:

Sorry, really not trying to extend a theoretical discussion here, just
wanting to clarify: are we both clear that the proposal is about
autocomplete, which means that the forms will for sure be devoid of actual
content?  I'm not trying to say that there are issues with parsing input
elements in general, but with empty ones (that is, ones that need to be
autocompleted).

Ok, enough from me.

- --
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma