[uf-discuss] How to involve a new format design

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Tue Mar 8 07:32:29 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 06:25, Mingli Yuan <mingli.yuan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> I have a requirement of a new format for knowledge exchange.
> But I am new to this area, and I want to get some advices.
>
> My specific requirement is for a format to exchange Wikipedia knowledge,
> but of cause this format could be used in a boarder situations.
>
> For each article from Wikipedia, I want fill below metadata in its talk page:
>
> * title (different title in different language variant)
> * links for different language variant
> * categories
> * lead sentence
> * abstract
> * main photo (img link, width, hight)
>
> Some metadata can be retrieved via API calls from WIkipedia, but it
> need many API calls.
> Some metadata should be generated by human for good quality.

The combination of MediaWiki API and dbpedia should be able to do what you need.

Dbpedia provides all that: see for instance
http://dbpedia.org/resource/London

It's all RDFish, but it is provided in a variety of syntaxes. If you
are building something on top of Wikipedia data, Dbpedia is a pretty
good starting point.

This kind of thing isn't appropriate for Microformats. There have been
discussions about adding microformats to Wikipedia, and there are bits
and pieces, but it's a huge change that is fairly low down on the list
of things MediaWiki developers are working on. If you want to add
structured data to other wikis than Wikipedia, there are a variety of
solutions for that.

Yours,

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Please don't print this e-mail out unless you want a hard copy of it.
If you do, go ahead. I won't stop you.