[uf-discuss] Inclusion of RelPayment in Existing Rel Values

Baloydi Lloydi lordzden at asknoypi.com
Fri Sep 18 18:38:09 PDT 2015

Hello,

W3’s document about Microformats -
http://www.w3.org/2007/07dc-lhr/mf-xmlsum.pdf

I am Baloydi, I'm writing this message because I wanted to know your
thoughts about the inclusiun of RelPayment to the officail Existing Rel
Values (http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values). RelPayment -
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-payment has been cited and refered by
many web documents like webpages and books about its importance. It has
been a while that this was discussed -
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2005-July/000397.html

I also see an existing issue for RelPayment :
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-payment-issues

This was also being mentioned on the following web documents:
https://goo.gl/Mrcqee
https://goo.gl/7KAKKV
https://goo.gl/Lpbfxe
https://goo.gl/h2MnGW
http://www.csee.umbc.edu/courses/691m/notes/Microformats.pdf
http://www.google.com/patents/US8413063
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml

Why I think RelPayment's inclusuin is important?
Google penalizes web pages that frequently use affiliate links due to
potential misleading information and poor user experience. So what most
affiliate marketers do is implement “link cloaking” – disallow certain
access site folder from search engines, add rel=”nofollow”, and do 301
redirect if search engine tries to access the restricted folder full of
affiliate links.

This problem still exists today, and I believe RelPayment can solve this
issue. So instead of cloaking affiliated links, why not put a RelPayment
tag on <a href> and use the normal affiliate link? This will basically
tell the users and search engines that you are referring them to a
payment page or donation page. So what I am trying to say it that
RelPayment can tell search engines that it’s an affiliated link without
you cloaking and adding nofollow tag.

RelPayment can also tell search engines not to pass pagerank or link
juice to the affiliated page without using nofollow.

But of course Search Engines like Google, Bing, Yandex and Baidu should
also support RelPayment.

I know RelPayment has many advantages, and it can be used by various web
applications. Some integrators still have hesitations since RelPayment
is still not on the official list.

Finally, I’d like the insights from the Microformats community about
this idea, and what are the possibilities that it can be accepted by
Microformats, Search Engines and W3 standards.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

-Baloydi Lloydi

w: https://asknoypi.com/