[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Apr 9 09:01:21 PDT 2007

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Marian's problem is very involved, its a bid to allow music players and
> web players to view media info without actually having to download part
> of the file first to read the info contained in the download.?

Ahhh, this is important! The problem that you are solving is not
Marian's problem, nor is it the one listed on music-examples, nor it is
the one listed on music-info. It is a very small subset of all of them.

That is not to say that it isn't an important problem to solve - but by
noting that it isn't any of the prior music-related problems, the
problem-set has been constrained greatly (which is good):

As I understand it, these the fields that we are interested in?

artist, title, file format

If this is the case, we could easily use a combination of rel-enclosure
(Martin's suggestion) and the title attribute to solve the problem using
either hAtom or hReview:

<a rel="enclosure" type="MIME/TYPE" title="ARTIST - TITLE"
   href="madonna-hung_up.mp3">Hung Up</a>

Then we could do the following in hAtom:

  <h2 class="entry-title">Madonna - Hung Up</h2>
  <abbr class="updated" title="20070401T1122-0400">Apr 1, 2007</abbr>
  <address class="vcard author">
  </address>
                   title="Madonna - Hung Up"
                   href="madonna-hung_up.mp3">Hung Up</a> by
       Madonna.</p>

and the following in hReview:

  <h2 class="summary">Hung Up by Madonna</h2>
  <abbr class="dtreviewed" title="20070401T1126-0400">Apr 1, 2007</abbr>
  by <span class="reviewer vcard">
                   title="Madonna - Hung Up"
                   href="madonna-hung_up.mp3">Hung Up</a> by
       Madonna.</p>

Does this solution work for everybody?

I tend to agree with Alexandre Van de Sande and David Janes on moving
forward with media-info as the long-term solution. As Scott stated, that
will probably mean breaking it up into bite-sized pieces in the short
term. Solving those smaller problems will help solve the bigger
media-info problem in the long term.