[uf-new] collection-design-pattern proposal

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 01:41:41 PDT 2007

> On Apr 22, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>
> > I propose that we use this collection-design-pattern mentioned
> > above for
> > specifying all collections due to the following advances over all
> > of the
> > other proposed methods:

Nice idea, but I believe it's redundant. HTML already has collections,
ordered and unordered.

Generic:

<ul>
   <li>an item</li>
   <li>another item</li>
</ul>

Collection has a type:

<ul class="things">
   <li>an item</li>
   <li>another item</li>
</ul>

(which re-raises the question of whether class="xoxo" is desirable)

Individuals have types:

<ul>
   <li class="xthings">an item</li>
   <li class="ythings">another item</li>
</ul>

and the collection and/or individuals can have unique ids:

<ul id="the_collection">
   <li id="xthing">an item</li>
   <li id="ything">another item</li>
</ul>

Other relations can be expressed:

<ul>
   <li id="ything">another item</li>
</ul>

(probably not perfect, but I think it could be made to work)

Specific definitions of the interpretation can be provided using a
metadata profile, e.g. by providing an RDF mapping via GRDDL.

What more is needed?

Cheers,
Danny.

--