[uf-new] hAudio ISSUE #1: image-summary is redundant

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Tue Aug 7 11:22:13 PDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 11:44 AM, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> Do you think the use of PHOTO may interfere with the hCard that is
> already part of the hAudio proposal, Suppose I wanted to mark up my
> hAudio hcard's with Photos of the band members? isn't that breaking
> the
> don't repeat yourself rule?

Not really.  DRY refers to content, not structure.  Unlike content,
we should repeat structure as much as possible (for different
content).  That's what makes it standardized and useful.

However, there is an issue with defining scope (i.e. how do we limit
the scope of hCard photos to the hCard and not affect a surrounding
hAudio?) that we keep running into whenever anyone suggests re-use of
property names.  There's an effort to solve that problem started here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/mfo

But that's moving slowly precisely because we keep avoiding the
problem instead of addressing it.  But it's a solvable problem.
Parsers can figure out the difference between hCard photos and hAudio
photos, even though they're not doing so yet.  If it becomes a
significant problem, it will be solved by clarifying parsing rules.
If it doesn't become a significant problem, it's not worth worrying
about.  Either way, it needn't influence our choice of property names.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com