[uf-new] course syllabus markup or microformat?

Jeff McNeill jeff at jeffmcneill.com
Fri Dec 14 15:11:32 PST 2007

Hello Manas,

Great work you have done. I want to respond to the part about the
minimum components of a syllabus. First, I agree on the need for
users, activities and resources. I think those are the right terms.
However, I don't think they are enough.

Taking a paving-the-cowpaths and after analyzing 15 organizational
communication syllabi each taken from a different universities, it
seems that there are evaluation rubrics which are strongly
represented. By evaluation rubrics, the vast majority have a grading
scale (x = A, y = B), and have what I term grade partitioning (attend
= 20%, final = 40%, etc.). Many have activity evaluations embedded in
the syllabus (expectations for given activity types), and some have a
scoring guide for particular assignments.

In addition, if we take an institutional view, syllabi are embedded
within a larger context, namely professional communities of practice
and their bodies of knowledge. Your work connecting the syllabi to the
body of knowledge for computer science provides just such linkage. I
suggest the following nested assessment model from the larger point of
view.

Bodies of knowledge
|	Programs
|	|	Courses
|	|	|	Syllabi
|	|	|	Assessment
|	|	Assessment
|	Assessment
Assessment

Please see some initial markup of assessment rubrics using definition
lists and gaining insight from the hReview microformat (which I
believe can be usefully deployed to a large degree).

   http://jeffmcneill.com/microformats/general-writing-assessment-rubric.html
   http://jeffmcneill.com/microformats/grading-apportionment-rubric.html
   http://jeffmcneill.com/microformats/grading-scale-rubric.html

There are a few different ways that rubrics are represented. The
writing assessment rubric (above) is a single measure that we have
used at the University of Hawaii for freshmen composition placement.
However, there are rubrics which could be multi-criteria-scoring, e.g.
that would have each category be a definition term with a definition
list of scores and their descriptions.

--
Sincerely,
Jeff McNeill