[uf-new] [Fwd: Re: [uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns]

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 13:23:04 PST 2007

forwarded from uf-discuss

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 15:09 -0500, Manu Sporny wrote:
> I'll volunteer to check out Orca and JAWS and report the findings to
> the
> list, and document them in the wiki.

Thank you manu :)

can you please test:

<var class="duration" title="PT2M23S">2:23</var>

I think it would be valuable to know if the @title is read out loud on
uncommon tags like <var> and <dfn> or if all @titles are read out loud.

My thought is (after many months of wrestling with this beast) that
instead of trying to hide and change what we are doing (after all its
necessary) it may be worthwhile trying to find a more semantic
equivalent of how we use the <abbr> tag.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1

VAR:
        Indicates an instance of a variable or program argument.

We are presented with an instance of a variable, when we do this:

<abbr class="duration" title="PT2M23S">2:23</abbr>

duration is described in two ways machine data, and human data, this
presents the instance and an argument with two different outcomes, if
you are a machine do this PT2M23S, if you are a person do this 2:23.

*Var* seems wholly suited to what we are trying to achieve.

?

Thanks.

Martin