[uf-new] img alt content (was:hAudio implemented on Bitmunk (with onesnag))

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 01:07:26 PDT 2007

In message <003501c7c33c$9b2e10d0$bc08a8c0 at nzto22>, Paul Wilkins
<paul_wilkins at xtra.co.nz> writes

>> Can you give a real world example of someone publishing such "garbage"
>> alt text, pertinent to microformats (and again with URLs as above),
>> which does not violate the HTML specs, please?
>
>I can.
>
>Our website uses feature pages for our cleints to help improve their
>visibility to the general public through search engines. One of the
>ways of doing this is to load the page with specific keywords and
>phrases for our clients.
>
>Images for example would have "Copyright CityLife Auckland. Suite at
>our Auckland hotel accommodation"

Unless that's the graphical content of the image, which seems unlikely,
that's an abuse of the alt attribute; such text should be in the title
attribute. It *does* violate the HTML specs. And how is it "pertinent to
microformats"?

>as a business we have a commitment to our clients to provide them the
>best results that we can.

What about their responsibility to their customers, some of whom will
have a visual disability?

--
Andy Mabbett