[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Fri Jun 1 12:35:43 PDT 2007

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Joe Andrieu wrote:
> >>From reviewing the examples [2],
>
> Thank you for that very thorough and well thought out
> argument, Joe. I agree with most of what you had to say,
> here's my $0.02 on the rest:
>
> > I think there are five distinct semantic items here, at a minimum:
> > 	album
> > 	playlist
> > 	track
> > 	audiofile
> > 	podcast
>
> As for your playlist example at the end of your e-mail... you
> said it best when you noted
>
> >> Albums, podcasts, whatever, aren't they all forms of playlists?
> >> haudio with opional hplaylist?
> >
> > Not unless you can provide examples of them being display
> on the web
> > as the same thing.
>
> We need examples of playlists to support your playlist
> argument... which we don't have.

Sure we do. There are a bunch on the examples page, including the FIQL service I mentioned in my email.

> What we do have, however, is a plethora of album/track/song
> examples. Let's focus on solving that very specific problem.

I support that.  But then what you are solving is hAlbum. Not hAudio.  Once we figure out hAlbum, we can certainly generalize upward
to hAudio, incorporating playlists and podcasts as we go.

I think that's a good solution, as it allows us to solve the specifics of how albums group songs into published works, which is much
simpler than trying to generalize all the different ways that media properties aggregate and group other media. We just need to note
that hAudio is waiting for hAlbum and start through the process with the more limited, more tractable focus on albums, reusing what
we've already documented where appropriate.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
SwitchBook Software