[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Tue Jun 5 15:00:21 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:

> The label "haudio" appears to be describing two distinct concepts
> here (1: album information, 2: individual track information), which
> I find confusing.  That these two concepts share some properties,
> but that doesn't make them the same thing.  I think there are two
> many layers of abstraction here.  "haudio" should describe something
> specific, e.g. an audio recording, not a vague collection of
> metadata that could apply to a wide variety of things.

They're actually, IMO, almost entirely the same.

A classical recording is a good example -- unlike popular music, the
tracks on the album are often merely segments of a larger whole, f.e.
"Beethoven's Fifth" is comprised of four movements. All of the same
information that can be applied to a "track" can be applied to an
"album" or "playlist". They're really just divisions of a larger
whole. The only information I could see an album of playlist needing
that a track wouldn't would be: # of tracks and # of discs.

-Colin