[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Tue Jun 5 15:56:58 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Colin Barrett wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
>
>> The label "haudio" appears to be describing two distinct concepts
>> here (1: album information, 2: individual track information),
>> which I find confusing.  That these two concepts share some
>> properties, but that doesn't make them the same thing.  I think
>> there are two many layers of abstraction here.  "haudio" should
>> describe something specific, e.g. an audio recording, not a vague
>> collection of metadata that could apply to a wide variety of things.
>
> They're actually, IMO, almost entirely the same.
>
> A classical recording is a good example -- unlike popular music,
> the tracks on the album are often merely segments of a larger
> whole, f.e. "Beethoven's Fifth" is comprised of four movements. All
> of the same information that can be applied to a "track" can be
> applied to an "album" or "playlist". They're really just divisions
> of a larger whole. The only information I could see an album of
> playlist needing that a track wouldn't would be: # of tracks and #
> of discs.

If that's the case, what do we gain from using separate terms for
"album" and "track"?  Either it's useful to distinguish between the
two with labels, or it's not.  If it's not, we could just embed
haudio inside haudio to indicate sub-sections of audio (as suggested
in audio-info-proposal).  If it is a useful distinction, we should
clearly identify the difference.  We shouldn't use unnecessary labels.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com