[uf-new] hAudio - audio-album and audio-podcast

Colin Barrett timber at lava.net
Tue Jun 5 16:45:20 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:39 PM, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 15:00 -0700, Colin Barrett wrote:
>> On Jun 5, 2007, at 2:20 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
>>
>>> The label "haudio" appears to be describing two distinct concepts
>>> here (1: album information, 2: individual track information), which
>>> I find confusing.  That these two concepts share some properties,
>>> but that doesn't make them the same thing.  I think there are two
>>> many layers of abstraction here.  "haudio" should describe something
>>> specific, e.g. an audio recording, not a vague collection of
>>> metadata that could apply to a wide variety of things.
>>
>> They're actually, IMO, almost entirely the same.
>>
>> A classical recording is a good example -- unlike popular music, the
>> tracks on the album are often merely segments of a larger whole, f.e.
>> "Beethoven's Fifth" is comprised of four movements. All of the same
>> information that can be applied to a "track" can be applied to an
>> "album" or "playlist". They're really just divisions of a larger
>> whole. The only information I could see an album of playlist needing
>> that a track wouldn't would be: # of tracks and # of discs.
>
> Colin you have a good point here
> haudio would not be extended far enough to suit the classical
> communities needs when you take into account that Beethoven has nine
> symphonies with a total of 37 movements with sub properties of

You would be marking up a specific recording of the symphony with
haudio, though, so you would have information *about that recording,*
not about the specific work of music in question.

Another example: You don't mark up information about the song "Star
Spangled Banner," you mark up the information about Jimi Hendrix's
particular recording of it. e.g, year would be 1967, not 1814.

-Colin