[uf-new] hAudio: relevant UIDs

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Thu Jun 7 07:38:33 PDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 4:44 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> Any hAudio/ hMedia microformats should allow for:
>
>    *    ISO 15706 International Standard Audiovisual Number (ISAN)
>
>    *    ISO 15707 International Standard Musical Work Code (ISWC)
>
>    *    ISO 10957 International Standard Music Number (ISMN)
>
>    *    ISO 3901 International Standard Recording Code (ISRC)
>
>    *    Project 27729 International Standard Party Identifier (ISPI)
>
> which are the equivalents of ISBN; perhaps by including a one or more
> UID type/ value pairs.

What exactly do you mean by "allow for"?  Pretty much anything can be
inserted into any HTML markup, so to that extent it's impossible to
disallow any of this.  But if you mean we need to develop markup for
this as part of the spec, I disagree, as it doesn't appear to be very
common in HTML publishing.

On Jun 7, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> <http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elgar+ISMN>

That has 536 results.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elgar

That has 6,120,000 results.

> <http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elgar+ISRC>

That has 27,500 results.

>         <http://www.google.co.uk/search&q=beethoven+ISWC>

That has 13,400 results.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beethoven

That has 24,400,000 results.

This cursory skim of real world publishing suggests to me that these
ISO standards account for a very small portion (less than 1%) of our
problem set.  If anyone is interested, obviously a more detailed
analysis would provide more accurate information, but I don't
personally see much cause for interest.

> Besides, they're *ISO* international standards.

That doesn't mean people are actually using them.  Let's first model
data people are already publishing most widely, and leave the less-
commonly published data for future versions.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com