[uf-new] hAudio: relevant UIDs

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Thu Jun 7 08:58:27 PDT 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> This cursory skim of real world publishing suggests to me that these
>> ISO standards account for a very small portion (less than 1%) of our
>> problem set.
>
> You're using a bogus comparison, calculating "the proportion of sites
> mentioning Elgar/ Beethoven which use ISO codes", instead of "the
> proportion of sites publishing downloadable Elgar/ Beethoven audio (or
> whatever) which use ISO codes".

Not to suggest the comparison was particularly useful (merely enough
to prevent me from becoming interested in UIDs in haudio), but I was
under the impression haudio is not restricted to downloadable audio.

>>  Besides, they're *ISO* international standards.
>>
>> That doesn't mean people are actually using them.
>
> ISO don't write standards to keep themselves busy. Of course people
> are
> using them.

Yeah, I should have said "many people."  Regardless of my poor word
choice and vague metrics, my point is just that I don't yet see
enough publishing of UIDs with audio to interest me in investigating
further.  I presumed your goal was convincing active participants in
the haudio discussion of the importance of UIDs in haudio, and you'd
want to know that it wasn't yet accomplished in my case.  But if
others are interested, I certainly wouldn't attempt to prevent
further research.  Indeed, I would encourage it.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com