[uf-new] title vs. summary (was: Third attempt at hAudio)

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu Jun 7 14:18:56 PDT 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> Ideally, we would be using 'title' - why can't we do that, again?
>> Because hcard uses it?
>
> --- because the semantics of TITLE have already been defined as
> something else. It is irrelevant that hCard uses it, the semantics are
> not what you intend.
>
> TITLE: Job title or functional position of the object.
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/classes
>
> Point 4 in the process[1] says you should be aware of microformats
> naming principles when choosing names.
>
> Please make yourself aware of the process.

I am aware of the process and I am aware that the semantics of TITLE
have already been defined. I was asking a different set of questions,
more specifically:

1. How did TITLE come about?
2. Who created it and how many people signed off on it?
3. Did it originate in hCard?
4. How many Microformats existed when TITLE was created?
5. Is there anybody else on the list that thinks that TITLE has a bad
   semantic definition?

I realize that this is a can of worms that most on here don't want to
open up - but what do we do when semantics are hijacked by previous
Microformats?

It seems to me that the proper semantic name for "Job title or
functional position" should be something like 'position', or
'job-title', or 'function'.

I'm assuming that 'title' came about because it was defined in the VCARD
format (Section 3.5.1):

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt

The definition in VCARD Section 3.5.1 is:

3.5.1 TITLE Type Definition