[uf-new] Microformat for Music Downloads

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Fri Mar 9 07:07:10 PST 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 3:28 AM, Marian Steinbach wrote:

> Draft with album title:

> span> -
> (from the album <em class="album">Wincing The Night Away</em>)
>
> Any comments so far? (It'll get more complicated soon enough!)

Let's not make it any more complicated than it absolutely needs to
be.  I'm not even convinced we need to worry about album in the first
draft.  We can always add later, but we can't easily take away
complication after it's in use.  I have two general comments.  First,
I don't see any benefit to restricting this to music.  All of your
use cases seem to be just as relevant to non-music audio downloads.
Second, I think it makes sense for the various elements to be
containers, with the possibility of containing information about the
artist (e.g. URL), track (e.g. recorded date), and album (e.g.
published date).  I think hCard and hCalendar could offer some useful
semantics here.  E.g.:

class="fn org">Chicago Public Radio</span></span> -
span></span></a>
(from the album <em class="album vevent"><span class="summary">This
American Life</span></em>)

Another option would be to use hAtom for everything:

class="author vcard"><span class="fn org">Chicago Public Radio</
span></span> -
(from the album <em class="feed-title">This American Life</em>)

Here simply adding the class "audio-download" to the root hfeed
element would give existing hAtom properties new meaning, e.g. feed-
title is album, author is artist, entry-title is track.  This is
basically treating every audio download as a podcast with (as little
as) one entry.  The main problem I see is that hAtom requires a date
updated, and those don't appear to be commonly published on music
download sites.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com