[uf-new] ISBN, ISSN and the case for moving forward now

Alexander Graf alexander.graf at deri.org
Sun Mar 18 06:17:32 PST 2007

On 18.03.2007, at 14:40, Brian Suda wrote:

> microformats solve a GENERAL problem, not a specific one.

Actually I thought it was the other way round.

> We have a mechanism already for unique identifiers, it is called UID!

In any case there needs to be a way to differentiate UIDs. A unique
identifier in a news feed item is something different than a ISBN. Tools
like operator need to do specific things with microformats and there
are things you can do with ISBNs which you can't do with other UIDs
and vice versa.

So if a new ISBN microformat is out of the question, there needs to be
more work on UID...

Best,
Alexander Graf

DERI Innsbruck
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
Leopold-Franzens-Universität
ICT Technologiepark, Technikerstrasse 21a
6020 Innsbruck, Austria

mail: alexander.graf at deri.org
web:  www.deri.at