[uf-new] First attempt at hAudio proposal

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Wed May 2 13:28:43 PDT 2007

>> On 02/05/07, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can this problem be solved without inventing a new format?

Several have tried, but nobody has been able to present good way to
re-use hReview/hAtom. Perhaps you would like to give it a shot? Read
this thread before you do  as this argument has been previously attempted:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-March/000028.html
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-April/000096.html

>> Can this be solved by extending an existing format?

Maybe... but every attempt at doing so has been shot down to date. Read
the previous threads. Please propose a solution if you think differently.

>> Can this be solved by creating small building block formats that can
>> be reused in other formats?

The goal is to use some of the concepts created in hAudio in the
forthcoming hVideo and hImage proposals. Things like 'published-date',
'sample', 'acquisition', 'length', 'contributor', 'work-title' and
'genre'. We are already using small building block formats:
rel-design-pattern, hcard draft, datetime-design-pattern,
currency-proposal, and grouping (if we ever get to an agreement).

>> Can this be solved only be creating a new hAudio format?

That seemed to be the consensus over the past three months.

Frances Berriman wrote:
> This may have been done and if so, does this research exist on the
> wiki at the moment?  If it's been tried, and it doesn't work, I think
> I and others would benefit from seeing the attempts.

We already discussed this a month ago:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-April/000138.html

> My concern is we're discussing a multitude of problems in a thread
> titled "hAudio first draft" and it's clearly no where near a first
> draft stage.

No... we are talking about the problems in a thread titled "First draft
of hAudio proposal", the last word in the subject line is important.

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-May/thread.html

It hasn't hit a draft yet... it's still a proposal. To help prevent any
future mis-readings of this threads subject line, I've re-named it to
"First attempt at hAudio proposal".