[uf-new] Re: hAtom is not a silver bullet

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Thu May 3 14:12:42 PDT 2007

On 5/3/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> Edward O'Connor wrote:
> > Manu Sporny wrote:
> >
> >> The argument has been put forth several times during the audio-info
> >> exploratory process that hAtom should be used, directly, for
> >> publishing information related to audio[...] While hAtom /could/ be
> >> used for this purpose, I hope to outline several reasons on why this
> >> is a bad idea[...]
> >>
> >> 2. hAtom has a very strong "syndication" background and is not fit for
> >> describing audio recordings. They are different solutions.
> >
> > So the origin of hAtom in a syndication background isn't, as such, a
> > reasonable reason to object to its use in non-syndication contexts.
>
> The objection wasn't regarding its use in non-syndication contexts. The
> objection was to its use when describing audio recordings:
>
> "hAtom has a very strong "syndication" background and is not fit for
> describing audio recordings. They are different solutions."

Whether or not hAtom is suitable for describing audio formats is
something I'll more than happily let you decide.

However, your characterization of hAtom as having a "syndication"
background / being some sort of syndication format is wrong, or as
wrong as the statement: "blogs have a syndication background". Yes, we
refer to the Atom standard, but as appropriate one is expected to make
the mapping when it talks about "atom feed" to "the content being
marked up with hAtom" -- the same way when reading hCard we know we're
talking about content being marked up with that rather than a block of
vCard text.

Regards, etc...
David

--