[uf-new] Revisiting grouping problem solution proposal: hset

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Tue May 22 13:09:23 PDT 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
>> This should be (note the replacement of a ' ' with a '.'):
>> class="hset.with-client-event.FOO_Sales_Pitch"
> i'm sorry, i'm completely lost now. Are we trying to get a solution to
> a non-problem?

We are trying to find a solution to the problem that is defined here:

> did we not discuss the whole namespacing '.' (dot-notation) as a bad idea?

This is /not/ name spacing:

If you have a better suggestion, other than using '.' (dot-notation),
please let us know what it is...

> has there ever been a time that we have NEEDED a set container in an
> existing microformat?

hAudio needs a set container... so will hVideo and hImage. Currently,
Microformats do not have any way of grouping together sparse
Microformatted content on a page. There have been plenty of examples
collected to demonstrate that one is needed:

> i feel this conversation is attempting to create a solution to
> something that isn't a problem.

Quite the contrary - we have plenty of examples to back-up the argument
that there is a problem:

> Can we take a set back from trying to produce mark-up and describe the
> exact use-case and need for this?

The use case is the hAudio Microformat:

and over 85 example sites that group audio content:

We need a way to create the concept of an audio collection (an album).
The same can be said for video and images - how do you relate these
items to one another?

> i for one do NOT see a need for any sort of SET format,
> HTML, XOXO and individual microformats convey all
> the needed semantics already.

No they don't - they do not support sparse grouping as described on the
grouping-examples page:

-- manu